“Our purpose is to please God, not people.
He alone examines the motives of our hearts”
~1 Thessalonians 2:4b NLT, 2nd ed.~
I forgot to tell you that another sister of Mrs. Mickey Cade passed away. I know you will want to remember the family in your prayers.
Three members of the late Mrs. Wanzie Williams family are in need of our prayers. They are Stan Williams, her older son, her sister, Julie Kay, and Julie Kay’s daughter. The last one, Julie Kay’s daughter is especially ill. Prayers would be greatly appreciated.
Karen Miller’s grandson, Christian Smalley, was taken to the hospital because of a heart issue. According to Bro. Joey yesterday afternoon, Christian apparently had a-fib which cleared when he was sedated for a conversion which became unnecessary. He will be watched closely. Christian seems otherwise healthy, so doctors think he will do well.
Please pray for Beverly “Doodle” Watson again. Her disease has reappeared. Pray for strength for a continued battle.
Scripture Writing – https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Corinthians+4%3A16-18&version=NIV
Baptist Press – bpnews.net
Devotional, Scripture, and a Song
- “The Ultimate Road Trip” – http://odb.org/2016/08/29/the-ultimate-road-trip/
- In the wilderness prepare the way for the Lord; make straight in the desert a highway for our God. ~ Isaiah 40:3~
- “I Surrender All”
- Lyrics – http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh354.sht
- History – http://www.sharefaith.com/guide/Christian-Music/hymns-the-songs-and-the-stories/i-surrender-all-the-song-and-the-story.html
- YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRZDHmlmKCU (I am thinking how so many people in our state lost many worldly possessions due to the recent floods. These were not freely surrendered. Many cannot get beyond the losses to see that they have a future and that God still reigns. Please encourage those around us who have losses, help in any way you can, and remind them that Jesus would like for us all to reach a point where we could surrender everything for Him. He doesn’t usually require it, but the attitude is important in our service to Him. – I understand how devastating the losses have been and am not diminishing the loses of anyone to the floods. Think about that hymn. Sing it. He required the attitude of surrender, but usually not total surrender like in Job’s case.)
- This is another good week to volunteer to help family, friends, and strangers recover from the flood. We do not all have to tear our sheetrock. There are ways we can help. Check around. Make yourself available. God can use you. You will be blessed even greater than those you are helping. Call me TODAY to volunteer. I promise you will be able to do these things. Special thanks to those who have served for a short time or day after day. Consider the Scriptures about the Good Samaritan who helped a stranger. We have that opportunity many times over.
- The children’s missions classes will be working on mission projects this week. They will help with Operation Christmas Child Wednesday night at 6. It will be fun and teach the children so much.
- Looking ahead, adults can help in a new way with Operation Christmas Child this year. FBC, Kentwood will be a collection center. We will meet with volunteers from other churches to learn about the collection process and our responsibilities. You can call or see me to volunteer. Our meeting will be at 10 A.M. on October 1st. The collection days are November 14-21.
- Bible Study continues on Friday mornings at 10 A.M.
- Suggested items you can provide this week:
- Fall Food Roundup for the Louisiana Baptist Children’s Home – Dishwasher detergent, Disinfectant spray, and/or Dryer sheets. These can be brought to the area under the stairwell at that office entrance to the church.
- Suggested items for Operation Christmas Child – one or more small balls less than 3″ in diameter. These can be brought to my Sunday School classroom.
- The annual Georgia Barnette Offering emphasis will be Monday, September 5 at NZBC at 10 A.M. A potluck lunch will follow the meeting. Much money is coming into our area to help with flood relief. All ladies are invited to come learn with us.
Thanks for allowing to come into your home with my thoughts and messages.